logo logo

FAQ - Health and Labor Insurance, Social Welfare

  • Q1: Can foreign workers employed by Taiwanese companies obtain labor insurance as insured persons?

    Ordinary companies employ workers who meet the requirements of Article 6 of the Labor Insurance Act, and the insured units are obliged to insure them. If a worker is employed by an insured unit under the provision of Article 8 of the Act, or if a domestic helper or care worker is employed by an individual employer, such an employee’s insurance plan shall be voluntarily agreed upon. If you have any questions, please contact the Bureau of Labor Insurance, Ministry of Labor, Executive Yuan. Telephone: +886-2-2396-1266.

  • Q2: How are labor insurance premiums calculated in the case of foreign workers?

    There are two types of premium rates: ordinary and occupational accident. According to Articles 13 and 15 of the Labor Insurance Act, for a foreign worker who is employed by a fixed employer, 70% of the ordinary insurance premium is shared by the employer, 20% by the insured person and 10% by the government. For the occupational accident rate, the full premium is paid by the employer. When a foreign worker does not have a regular employer or is self-employed and affiliated with an occupational union, he/she will bear 60% of the premium for both ordinary and the occupational accident insurance, and the remaining 40% will be paid by the government. From 2021, the ordinary insurance premium for labor insurance shall be calculated at 10.5%, and occupational accident premium rates shall vary according to occupational risk.

  • Q3: How does an insured unit report the insured salary of foreign workers?

    The total monthly salary refers to the wages (including wages, salaries and bonuses, allowances and any other regular payments regardless of the name which may be computed on an hourly, daily, monthly and piecework basis, whether payable in cash or in kind.) stipulated in Subparagraph 3 of Article 2 of the Labor Standards Act. For those without fixed or steady monthly income, it shall be set according to the average monthly incomes for the most recent three months.
    The monthly insurance portion of the salary for Labor Insurance should be filed based on the total amount of the insured person's monthly salary according to the "Table of Grades of Insurance Salary". The current applicable rating scale was implemented on January 1, 2021, with level 1 being NT $24,000 and the top level being NT$45,800.


  • Q4: What kind of impact will be on the workers in case an insured unit delays payment of the Arrears Wage Payment Fund? How can the workers claim for these payments or protect their rights and interests?

    The wage arrears payment program stipulates that employers should pay a certain amount into the fund monthly to be used for subsequent payment of wage arrears (for up to six months), retirement pension and severance pay required by the provisions of Labor Standards Act, and the severance pay required by the provisions of Labor Pension Act ( the total amount of pension and severance shall be no more than six months of average wage). In case an employer has suspended or liquidated its business or has declared bankruptcy, and of non-payments upon the workers(including foreign workers who are applicable to Labor Standards Act) request for arrears of wages, pensions, or severance pay, the Fund can temporarily cover the payments, but the employer shall repay the amount to the Fund within a specified timeframe. If an employer has unpaid the arrears wage payment fund, workers shall not apply for such payment. Workers of employers who have paid up owed contributions may also apply for such payment.

  • Q5: What kind of labor insurance benefits can foreign workers apply for?

    Foreign workers are insured under the Labor Insurance Act as insured persons, and upon the occurrence of a contingency covered by the insurance plan during the coverage period, they can apply for labor insurance benefits. Included in the ordinary insurance program are five different kinds of benefits which are maternity benefits, injury or sickness benefits, disability benefits, old-age benefits and survivors’ benefits. Occupational accident insurance includes four kinds of benefits which are injury and sickness benefits, medical-care benefits, disability benefits and survivors’ benefits (including missing allowance)

  • Q6: Are the APRC holders foreign nationals eligible for the National Insurance Program?

    1.The authority of National Insurance Program is under the Ministry of Health and Welfare.


    2. The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who with Valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident certificate for the Taiwan area (including those from Hong Kong, Macau and China) must enroll in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months (6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan or with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days when the actual residency period of 6 months is reached after the days abroad have been deducted).


    All foreign workers in Taiwan, holding work permits and Alien Resident Certificate, shall enroll in NHI from the date of employment, and all infants born in Taiwan shall enroll in NHI as well since the date of birth and became a dependent of his/her parent who is employed; if both of the them are employed, either may be selected.


    3. In accordance with the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals, spouses, minor children and disabled children aged over 20 of the employed foreign professionals shall enroll in the NHI program from the date of ARC issued and be the dependents of the foreign professionals through their companies.


    For more information, please visit: National Health Insurance Administration - Enrollment.

  • Q7: Where and how do the victims of foreign spouses suffering sexual infringement look for assistance?

    I Authorized Authority:
     MOI (Commission for Family Violence and Sexual Infringement Prevention), Family Violence and Sexual Infringement Prevention Center of Municipal or County (City) Government (hereinafter called the "Prevention Center ). 
    II Basis of Law:
     Sexual Infringement Offense Prevention Law 
    III What is sexual infringement?
    Sexual infringement is not sex but a cruel infringement that is an unallowed sexual behavior. The sexual infringement means the offenses enumerated in Article 221 ~ 229 and 232 of Criminal Code. In a word, the sexual intercourse of a man or woman by means of rape, threat, intimidation, hypnotism or any other way violating the will are called sexual infringement 
    IV What can you do when suffering sexual infringement? 
      A. Seek resource channels: Dial "113 - Women and children protection line" to ask for assistance from the "prevention center" of municipal and county (city) governments; dial "110 Emergency call" to report the case to police department of municipal and county (city) governments, ask health organizations for assistance, or apply to court for the warrant of protection or file a law suit with the court. 
      B. Actions to take when suffering sexual infringement: 
        1. The most important thing is to keep evidences; go to hospital for an inspection to get the evidence, don't wash your body and change clothes either. 
        2. If you have reported to police for assistance, there will be policewomen going with you to hospital for a detailed inspection, injury examination and relevant evidence collection. 
        3. Don't be afraid, because isolation measures are taken for investigation of the case to protect your privacy. 
        4. During investigation and trial, there will be legal representative, spouse, linear or three-move collateral relatives, head of household, family members or social workers of the prevention center at your side to help you make statement. 
        5. When needing to exchange questions face-to-face with the suspect or identify the suspect, trust us! We will take proper protecting measures to assure your privacy and safety. 
        6. During investigation, your identity will not be disclosed unless you consent or it is necessary for investigation. 
        7. All documents prepared during investigation will not indicate your name, age, address, etc. 
        8. If you need legal consultation, emergent treatment, psychotherapy, counseling and settlement, you may contact the prevention center of municipal or county (city) government for assistance. 
      C. Flow of handling sexual infringement in hospitals (see the chart in p. 24). 
    V If you are worried about language, call "0800-088-885 foreign spouse protection line", which provides English- Vietnamese-, Indonesia-, Cambodian- and Thai-language personnel to offer foreign spouses the information about family violence and sexual infringement prevention and children/teenagers protection services. The service hours of this line in different languages are as follows:

    English: 8:00~10: 00 a .m.

    Cambodian: 2:00~4:00 p.m.

    Vietnamese: 10:00~12: 00 a .m.

    Thai: 4:00~6:00 p.m.

    Indonesian: 12:00 noon ~2:00 p.m.