1. According to the "Regulations Regarding Study and Counseling Assistance for Overseas Chinese Students in Taiwan", overseas Chinese students refers to Chinese students who are born and have resided continuously overseas until now, or have resided overseas for more than six years in succession in the recent past, and have obtained permanent or long-term residence permits from the overseas locality, and have returned to Taiwan for study. Students studying for medical, dental, and Chinese medical degrees, however, should have resided overseas for more than eight years in succession.
2. "Overseas" refers to countries or regions other than Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau.
3. "Continuous residence" refers to Chinese students who have resided in Taiwan for no longer than 120 days per calendar year (January 1 - December 31). Time spent in Taiwan shall not be counted as overseas residence for students under the following conditions:
(1) Those who study in the Overseas Youth Vocational Training Program organized by the authority in charge of Overseas Chinese Affairs Council, or study in the vocational training courses organized Ministry of Education.
(2) Those who study in courses organized by or Mandarin study programs referred by the authority in charge of Overseas Chinese Affairs Council, or participate in activities organized by government agencies recognized by Overseas Chinese Affairs Council, as long as the duration of the courses or activities is less than two years.
(3) Exchange students, whose total duration of exchange is less than two years.
(4) Those who receive an internship in Taiwan with approval of central authority for less than two years.
(5) Those who return to Taiwan to report for conscription and perform military service.
(6) Those who cannot return to their countries of residence due to war, natural disaster, or large-scale infectious disease, and have stayed in Taiwan for less than one year.
(7) Those who, for reasons not attributable to the overseas students, cannot return to their country of residence, have supporting documentation, and have stayed in Taiwan for less than one year. This condition is only valid one time. For students who stay in Taiwan pursuant to Items 6 and 7, the duration of stay in Taiwan shall not exceed one year in succession, and shall not occur more than a total of two times.
4. The alleged permanent or long-term residence certificate of the overseas locality should be identified by citizenship, permanent residence of the locality or by the overseas Chinese passport status visa on the R.O.C. passport.