The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who work Abroad in Taiwan,Work Abroad Taiwan and hold a valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident Certificate for the Taiwan area must be registered in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months.-Work Abroad in Taiwan,Work Abroad Taiwan
According to the Labor Insurance Act, a foreigner above 15 and below 65 years of age who is employed in a company or firm that employs more than 5 workers must be covered by the labor insurance program. The employer must submit the foreign worker's employment permit and a photocopy of the worker's Alien Resident Certificate or passport to the Bureau of Labor Insurance in order to apply to join the labor insurance program. For those who are employed in a company or firm that employs less than 4 workers or for foreign workers who are hired by other industries, the employer can enroll them in the labor insurance program voluntarily.
The following workers above 15 full years and below 65 years of age shall be insured under this program compulsorily:
- Industrial workers employed by public or private factory, mine, salt field, range, pasturage, forest or tea plantation with more than five employees, as well as workers employed by a communication or transportation enterprise, or by a public utility;
- Workers employed by a company or firm with more than five employees;
- Employees in a journalistic, cultural, non-profit organization or cooperative enterprise with more than five persons;
- Employees of government offices or public or private schools who are not legally entitled to join civil servants' insurance or the insurance of teachers and employees of private schools;
- Workers employed in fishing production;
- Persons receiving vocational training in vocational training institutes registered with the government;
- Members of an occupational union who have no definite employer or who are self-employed; and
- Fishermen who belong to Class A of Fishermen's Association and are either self-employed or do not have a definite employer.
Besides workers who are insured compulsorily, employers concurrently engaged in laboring services and persons employed in enterprises with less than five employees may also participate in the program on a voluntary basis.
Insured persons in this program shall be covered via the employers, or the organizations or institutes to which they belong as the insured units.
For more information, please visit: Bureau of Labor Insurance
National Health Insurance Program
Taiwan has one of the world's best national health insurance systems. The nation has gained an excellent international reputation for its state-of-the-art medical facilities and low-cost treatment.
The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who hold a valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident Certificate for the Taiwan area must be registered in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months (6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan or with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days when the actual residency period of 6 months is reached after the days abroad have been deducted). Individuals who get work permits with an ARC must be enrolled in the National Health Insurance program by their employer starting the day they are employed.
- Foreign students
- Foreign students can apply to enroll in the program through their schools.
- Those who receive permission from the National Immigration Agency under the Ministry of the Interior to extend their stay after graduation shall proceed to the district office where they reside to extend their enrollment in the NHI program.
- Those with full-time job employers: Those with a steady job can register for the program through their employers.
- Those who are unemployed but are able to enroll as a dependent through a relative (i.e., parents, spouses, or children) may participate in the National Health Insurance program through their relative's insurance registration organization after six months of continuous residence in Taiwan.
- Those without a fixed employer or family members with whom dependency can be claimed must, after six months of consecutive residence, enroll through the local administrative office where they reside.
- Company chairpersons/owners: They must enroll in the program through their company after six months of consecutive residence.
All foreign workers holding Alien Resident Certificates must join the NHI program. Their employers must enroll the foreign workers with the local branch of the BNHI within three days starting when the laborer becomes qualified to join the insurance program.
For more information,please visit: National Health Insurance Administration, NHIA
A list of medical facilities for foreign nationals can be found here.