Alien Resident Certificate
1. Any foreign national having made entry into Taiwan with a visitor visa valid for over 60 days, and who has not been restricted from an extension or imposed with other restrictions, may apply for residency and be granted an Alien Resident Certificate (hereinafter referred to as "the ARC") under one of the following conditions:
(1) Being married to a spouse currently residing in the Taiwan Area who is an R.O.C. national with household registration in the Taiwan Area (hereinafter referred to as citizenship) or residency, or a foreign national with residency or permanent residency; however, if the spouse thereof is working under the permission granted in pursuance with subparagraphs 8 to 10, paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Employment Services Act by the competent central labor authorities, the subject foreign national may not apply for residency;
(2) Being under the age of 20 whose lineal senior relative is an R.O.C. national with citizenship or residency, or a foreign national with residency or permanent residency; if the kinship thereof is derived from adoption, the adoptee shall reside in the Taiwan Area with his/her guardian;
(3) Working in Taiwan under the permission granted pursuant to subparagraphs 1 to 7 or subparagraph 11, paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Employment Services Act by the competent central labor authorities;
(4) Being an investor, or the representative of a foreign legal person, having invested over a certain amount of capital with the approval or review by the related competent central authorities;
(5) Being the person in charge of a foreign company approved to operate in Taiwan;
(6) Having the permission to apply for residency in Taiwan on a special case basis under diplomatic considerations by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
2. A "180-day visitor visa" holder whose visa is marked as "No Extension" may apply for an ARC, however, a "Working Holiday Visa" holder whose visa is marked as "Not Eligible to Apply for a Resident Visa or Resident Certificate" may not apply for an ARC.
For more information, please visit: Instructions for Application for Residency Status by Foreign Nationals with Visitor Visas